Kathleen Hoppe sent her wedding dress to have two little train skirts for her daughters to wear as flower girls in their uncle’s wedding. Kathleen’s dress had lots of gathered organza ruffles–which gave me quite a challenge to tame smile emoticon In addition to the skirts, we made a couple of kerchiefs, a jewelry pouch and a wedding garter.
Mary Furman sent her wedding dress and her daughter’s mother-in-law’s wedding dress to have a christening outfit made for their first grandchild. The wedding dresses were both very different and mixing the different materials was a challenge, but we were pleased with the results.
For the gown, we used the satin from the MIL WD on the bodice and sleeves and added some lacey applique from Mary’s WD. The skirt used the lining fabric from the MIL WD and an overlay of organza and ace from Mary’s WD.
The booties used the satin and lining fabrics from the MIL WD and we appliqued some flowers from Mary’s WD.
The panties used the lining fabric from the MIL WD and were decorated with some accordion organza from Mary’s WD.
Diane Andrews sent her wedding dress to have three different size pouches made from it for her daughter’s upcoming wedding. We made a larger pouch for holding a curling iron, hair blower and other necessities. We made a smaller pouch for holding make-up and/or jewelry and we made a tiny pouch for holding the groom’s ring. There are a number of ways you can re-purpose your wedding dress for your daughter’s wedding–or even for your son.
Erin Bokina sent her wedding dress to have a baptismal gown made for her daughter. While we were at it, we made a number of accessories for her as well including a pair of booties, a head band, a jewelry pouch, a bib and a kerchief.
Hi Liane! Wanted to share these photos with you… Sadie was baptized in early January and looked SO sweet in my wedding gown. My dad is her godfather (pictured below) and he and my mom purchased my wedding dress 10 years ago. Bet they didn’t think we’d get another use out of it.
Laura Freeman sent her wedding dress to have an ensemble made for her grandchildren. She had some unique applique and silky net pattern on her wedding dress sleeves that we used on the collar of the unisex gown. We used some of the floral applique on the little bolero jacket to make the outfit more feminine for a girl. Laura also asked for a couple of jewelry pouches and we got a bit creative with them.
Click Photo to Enlarge
Margaret Dickens gave us a really interesting challenge. She had the robe to a family heirloom christening outfit but could not find the original gown. She sent her mother’s wedding dress and asked us to create a gown to go with the existing robe. She also had the original bonnet. We took the fabric from the original bonnet and used it to create a “belt” piece to the christening gown. We also used white embroidery and white lace to help the outfit tie together.
Click Images to Enlarge Them