Her wedding dress was covered in lace so we tried to really bring out the lace in each project. We made an ornate, unisex gown using the lovely older satin from the WD and created a lacy robe to go over it. We also made bib, diaper cover, kerchief, headband and a petal rose corsage.
Kari Jamicich sent her wedding dress to have a unisex gown made for her son to wear for his baptism. Her wedding dress was made of pretty thick poly satin so we went with our “Bishop” style gown. Because the gown had seams falling in inconvenient places, I ended up adding some ribbons down the center front to cover a seam. We also made several kerchiefs with embroidery.
Cathy Peterson sent her wedding dress to have a baptism ensemble made for her grandchildren. She chose to get our gown/romper combo that includes a girl’s gown, a boy’s romper and a head piece. We also made a ring pillow and kerchief.
Her WD had a limited amount of satin that we used on the bodice of the gown and for the faux vest on the romper. This ensemble took just about every square useable inch of the wedding dress.
Kathleen Hoppe sent her wedding dress to have two little train skirts for her daughters to wear as flower girls in their uncle’s wedding. Kathleen’s dress had lots of gathered organza ruffles–which gave me quite a challenge to tame smile emoticon In addition to the skirts, we made a couple of kerchiefs, a jewelry pouch and a wedding garter.
Cynthia Bauknecht sent her wedding dress to get a christening gown and romper combo for her grandchildren to wear. Here gown worked well with our “princess” style. It gave us a chance to use the lovely lace from the WD skirt. For the romper, we treated the organza and the lining fabric as one fabric on the pants to give them a more elegant look.
Amy LaPierre sent her sister’s wedding dress to have heirloom christening outfits made for future grand nieces and nephews. The lovely floral overlay was ideal for a lovely, long christening gown. We also made a matching bonnet and bib. She also asked for a couple of wedding garters and a pocket square.
Susan Patricia decided to take full advantage of the materials from her dress when she sent it to us. She wanted a variety of items made for her children, grandchildren and future grandchildren. We made a couple of wedding garters, some embroidered kerchiefs and a ring pillow. We pulled the satin binding from three baby blankets and replaced it with the satin from the wedding dress. We also made a couple of sashes for future wedding bouquets, a Christmas ornament and a couple of zippered storage pouches.
We took the outside edges of some of the lace and created a satin ribbon to make the garters
The kerchiefs for her daughters have lace trim. All three kerchiefs were embroidered with the recipient’s initial and “Love Mom” on them.
We pulled the original binding off these blankets and put new binding made from the WD satin. We also added and embroidered heart label
The ornament was made from a mix the veil tulle and some of the bits of lace and beadwork from the WD.
Ann Szapor wanted her wedding dress turned into a christening gown and romper set for her first grandchild and future grandchildren. She originally ordered our Gown, Romper & Bonnet combo with the addition of a boy’s cap but she really wanted an overlay on the gown similar to some of the photos she’s seen on our web site. An overlay or robe is an additional garment and it takes quite a bit of time to make so we charge $220 for this add-on. However, we offer a Gown with overlay combo that includes a bonnet. It was less expensive to switch to a Gown with Overlay combo and add the romper and cap. She also added a ring pillow and kerchief.
The overlay was made from the WD mesh and lace. It is sleeveless with a ribbon closure. We did have to add some of our own lace trim at the opening.
Normally, when we make an overlay, the actual gown is plain. However, Ann’s wedding dress had two layers of mesh and an organza accordion gather at the hem. We decided to use the plain mesh and accordion gather on the gown and added some of the floral lace appliques so that you could see them through the overlay.
We used the base fabric from the WD for the little man romper and took just a bit of the lace mesh and added it to the faux vest.