Turn your fur coat into lovely teddy bears. Making a memory bear from your fur coat or stole takes more time and our price reflects that. Real fur requires a special treatment to help preserve the hide. Faux fur offers its own special challenge because the fibers are thicker.
Each fur memory bear has jointed arms and legs, acrylic safety-lock eyes, plastic nose and comes with a satin ribbon. We try to use the lining of the coat for the Ear, foot and paw pads whenever possible. We can also make a scarf or bow from the lining but there is an additional charge.
- $115 (plus shipping) for a 10″-14″ memory bear
- $135 (plus shipping) for a 16″ or 18″ memory bear
- $165 (plus shipping) for a 20″ memory bear
NOTE: For Mouton, Fox, Raccoon, Coyote and Seal. We can’t make a teddy bear smaller than 16″. Because of the thickness of the hide or density of the long fur, these furs simply don’t work for smaller memory bears.
We are not currently offering a non-jointed option in fur bears.
- $15 ea Custom Scarf/Bow We can make a custom scarf or bow from a garment you send (it should be light-weight fabric).
- $12 Felt nose If you’d prefer a soft, fabric nose instead of the plastic nose, we can do that.
- $25 Premium German Glass Eyes (These are a special order and are available in three color options: Brown, Blue and old fashioned Shoe Button Black. (Glass eyes are NOT child safe.)
- $18 to embroider two (2) initials on one foot per teddy bear (Because the foot pad is not that large, we are limited to two (2) initials per foot.)
- $18 to embroider initials or name on scarf (I do not have a large, industrial embroidery machine so am limited to a 4″ space but I can put a name on each scarf)
- Clothing: (I can make the clothing from additional clothing you send, or from the lining of a coat, or from my own selection of fabrics. the cost is the same)
- $20 to make a vest
- $25 to make a shirt/jacket/jumper
- $45 to make a full custom outfit (up to three items)
- Accessories: I have access to some simple accessories
- $8 for Glasses
- $15 for a Hat
Shipping is $15 for the first memory bear and $5 per each additional bear. We are located in Dayton, Ohio (45402).
$18 Photo Badge Send us a photo of your loved one wearing the garment–or just a favorite picture–and we’ll make a badge that can be pinned to your bear. You can email a digital photo or put a photo in with your order.
How to Order
Fairy Godmother Creations
1001 E Second St #3140
Dayton Ohio 45402
If you you have additional questions or just want to talk to a human being before making your decision, you can contact me at.
For some reason, AOL doesn’t always allow my emails through. If you have emailed me and don’t receive a response within 24 hours, it means I either didn’t get your email, or my response did not make it to you.
Here are a few photo samples, just click on the photo to see more detail
Fur condition: For real fur coats/stoles, the fur needs to be soft enough to sew. If the hide is too dry, it will not hold the seams. I usually will not do anything to an heirloom garment unless I believe the material will work for the project. For more information about how to assess your fur’s condition scroll down to find Frequently Asked Questions.
Important!: It is important to know that memory bears made from matured fur cannot be considered toys. Although I do things to re-enforce the fur and make it stable, old fur is not overly sturdy and it simply won’t hold up to rough child play. In addition, the premium glass eyes are NOT child safe. They are blown glass on the end of a wire. Although they are securely attached to the bear, a child pulling and twisting them can break them off and they can become a choking hazard.
How much fur/fabric does it take to make a bear? I can usually get the following:
- Standard small shoulder stole = Two 9″-12″ bears
- Larger stole or small jacket = Two 14″ bears one 16″ bear
- Hip-length jacket/coat = Three to four 12″-14″ bears or two 16″-18″ bears or one 20-24″ bear
- Full length coat = Four to six 12″-14″ bears or three 16″ bears or two 18″-24″ bears
Each bear has approximately 24 pattern pieces. If someone wants more bears from a garment, I can sometimes adapt my patterns to make smaller bears. I don’t like to work with bears less than 9″ though.
Types of Fur
So far, I’ve been able to work with any fur that has come my way. However, different fur does handle differently.Here are some of the common furs I’ve worked with so far:
- Mink, Muskrat, Beaver, Squirrel, Weasl, Sable, Ermine, Opposum, Badger and Persian Lamb all make beautiful bears and I can make just about any size bear from these fur types.
- Rabbit has very thin hide so I have to treat it a bit more and it tends to shed over the years. However, it does make very cute bears in any size (9″-20″).
- Mouton and Seal These furs have a very thick hide. The final bears are beautiful, but it is nearly impossible to work with bears under 16″ in size.
- Fox, Silver Fox, coyote and Raccoon all tend to have very thin hide with long pile fur. However, most coats with this fur are made of strips of fur between strips of leather or suede–which gives added strength to the fur. This works well for coats, but when making smaller items–like bears–the strips of leather WILL show. I try to place the pattern pieces so that none of the seams land on leather strips, but this means there is more waste. If you want me to reduce or eliminate the leather strips, I can do so but there is a $75 up-charge to your total order because it is time consuming to do so. I have to cut the strips off and re-bind the fur pieces together. The fur from these animals is so long, the smallest bear size we work with is 16″.